Sunday 14 October 2012

What Legacy Are You Leaving?



 By Joshua O’Brien

What will people remember you for?  How are you perceived?

It was not long ago that I was singing along to one of Chris Brown’s new songs. While I was singing my Gran asked: “Who sings this, my boy?”

“Chris Brown. Why?” I replied.

“Isn’t he the man who hit his girlfriend?” she enquired.

“Oh yes” I replied. He was dating Rihanna?”

“Yes that’s the one.” She reflected: “He’s not a very nice man, I must say!”

What is your view of Chris Brown? Is your opinion of him as a result of the way he sings or the way he treats women?  Before my Gran reminded me of the incident with Rihanna, I saw Chris Brown as a very talented artist with a great deal to offer to the world.

My Gran, on the other hand, has no idea who he is as a musician and only sees him as a man who has no respect for women.

A legacy is not something you leave after you die.
A legacy is something you build every day you live.

Having a talent or being famous doesn’t mean anything unless you treat people well and with respect. It’s not all about winning or being the best, it’s about how you treat the people while doing what you love, that is the legacy that you ultimately leave behind!

Chris Brown may have apologized for what he did, but it doesn’t take away what he did. That incident of violence will be associated with him forever. That is how many people will see him.

How will people see you in the future? Is it going to be the way you have treated them through high school, good or bad, your attitude towards work and your teachers or the way you act and present yourself?

I hope people will remember me for what I believed in had to offer the school and for the true friend I have been to my peers. The glory and accolades of being first team this and first team that, will fade into insignificance if not coupled with being a good, honest, caring and kind person.


No comments:

Post a Comment