Sunday 14 October 2012

In Conversation With...


By Dominique Gaydon

At St Peter’s, we have students who excel at exciting activities outside of school. I spoke to Chad ten Doeschate who races cars for fun.

Dominique Gaydon: Why did you start racing, and when?
Chad ten Doeschate: The first race I entered was in September of 2011 when I was old enough to apply for a racing license. I started motor racing because I have been involved in the sport in all areas since I was a young boy. It has been a dream of mine to participate in the international event I have just raced in.

DG: Do you consider yourself passionate about cars, and racing?
CD: Highly passionate. All areas of sport excite me and give me an urge to be involved. I have been a part of it too long not be passionate.

DG: Do you plan to pursue a career in racing, or use it as a way to earn extra money, or is it just an enjoyable hobby?
CD If I was given an opportunity to race professionally, I would take it. However, a professional career in South Africa does not pay as well as the overseas series do. But, in the meantime, I will race cheaply and have a great time doing so.

DG: What other competitions have you won or competed in?
CD: I have not won an event yet but I have reached my own goals and personal markers.  I did place second in my class this past event against professional racing drivers such as Gary Formato.

DG: Have you ever crashed?
CD: No, but I have had a few close calls at high speed.

DG: Who is your greatest inspiration?
CD: My inspirations are the greats of sport, those who have set and reset the bar internationally. My heroes include: Sarel van de Merwe and Peter de Klerk. Sarel is a seven-time SA rally Championship winner and Daytona winner. He placed second in the Le Mans 24 hour race and is a World Rally Championship winner for Audi. Peter de Klerk is a South African hero in the Kyalami 9 hour race and the SA Formula 1 Grand Prix winner.  I also admire other drivers who have given of themselves to forever change the sport.

DG: I there a history, or interest, in cars and racing in your family?
CD: (Laughs) My father raced for Shell Suzuki in drag racing, and won the championship. He then moved onto circuit racing and won the 1989 South African Sports Car Championship. Whilst doing this he built racing cars for various people. These cars include: Formula 1, Formula 3000, McLaren’s, Merc’s, Fords, Chevys, Alfas, Buicks, Fiats and Ferraris.

DG: Do you have to work hard, or does racing come naturally to you?
CD: For a young driver like me, practice is everything. I am surprised at how well I am doing, but proper instruction and loads of practice will improve my technique.

DG: How do you handle the pressure?
CD: Well, the only pressure I have is the pressure I put on myself. I expect only the best and most skilful driving. Besides, I have to keep the car in one piece. It’s the only one ever built and will cost big money to rebuild.

DG: How intense is the adrenalin rush?
CD: I will say this… I have yet to read about, see or experience such an intense sensation of complete concentration, adrenalin, logic and passion.

DG: How do you feel during, and after, a race?
CD: Before the race I am a bundle of nerves. I ask myself questions. Was my preparation sufficient? Will I mess it up? Will I be competitive? After the race I felt dead tired because I have never driven so hard.  I compete beyond anything I have imagined or experience before. There is tremendous satisfaction in going out there and putting on my best performance.

DG: Are your parents supportive of your racing? 
CD: My father helps prepare the car, and acts as my pit crew. He fuels up the car, fixes any damage, takes me to races and fights the other drivers when they come looking for trouble. My mother only attends some of the races. But when she does come she feeds me and helps me keep my cool in the pre-race paddock.

DG: Would you like to leave behind some kind of legacy in racing? If so, what would the legacy be?
CD: Of course. I want to be remembered as a determined, focused driver.

DG: Do you have any advice for aspiring racers?
CD: Do your homework! Then buy a second-hand Super Hatch Racing Car such as a Golf or Honda, fully kitted out. These cost between R40 and R60 000. Be prepared to destroy the boundaries that you thought existed. Be ready for hard work and dedication because it’s a competitive world and you need to shine.

I would like to thank King Pie for sponsoring my last race meeting and Peter du Toit of Zwartkops Raceway for providing me with a credible place to train and compete.





No comments:

Post a Comment