Sunday 14 October 2012

In Conversation With...


By Dominique Gaydon

Lauren Edwards is a well-known Grade 10 student who manages to excel in all aspects of College life. As a fellow dancer, I was interested in her dancing achievements.

Dominique Gaydon: When and why did you start dancing?
Lauren Edwards: I started dancing when I was 3 years old and it was because my mom saw that I liked to be onstage (laughs). I don’t think I even knew what I was doing. Apparently I skipped around like a baby elephant.

DG: Do you consider yourself passionate about dancing?
LE: I am 150% passionate about dancing! It puts me in the best mood and it doesn’t matter how much homework I have, or how sick I am, dancing comes first! It’s my life!

DG: Would you ever pursue a career in dance?
LE: I really don’t think I am going to pursue a career in dance because the pay is very low. That is so sad because dancers really deserve so much more. But I will definitely continue dancing for as long as possible. But if I can win So You Think You Can Dance then I’d dance for the rest of my life!

DG: What competitions have you won/participated in?
LE: I have participated in local competitions such as Concours De Moderne, and I have won championships in those competitions.

I also participated in Battle of The Giants which takes place at Sun City. There are numerous others and some are part of the World Trial Circuit. If you qualify in the top three places you can go to Germany to represent South Africa. In November 2010 I went to Germany to compete in ‘Worlds’ which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! It was a real eye-opener.

DG: Who is your greatest inspiration?
LE: My greatest inspirations when it comes to dancing would have to be Wade Robson and Mia Michaels. They are choreographers on So You Think You Can Dance and the pieces they choreograph are so breath-taking! They remind me why I love to dance so much.

DG: Is there a history of dance in your family?
LE: (laughs) No, there is no history of dance in my family. If you ask my dad he’ll probably tell you otherwise, but my parents did not dance.

DG: Do you have to work hard, or does dancing come naturally to you?
LE: Dancing requires so much hard work. Whether it comes naturally or not the work is still very tough. I would say that there are certain things that come naturally to me and other things which I find very difficult. For example I can learn dances very quickly and turns are a natural thing for me. However I was not born flexible and I often struggle with the moves that require a large amount of flexibility.

DG: How do you stay fit and flexible?
LE: Well, to be flexible you have to stretch every day. This requires so much discipline, and unfortunately I tend to slack off. But I try to stretch as much as possible. To keep fit I swim all year round and dancing obviously also keeps me fit. Dancing is more tiring than any other physical activity I’ve ever done, but because I enjoy it, it makes it seem easier.

DG: What kinds of dance do you do, and where?
LE: I concentrate mainly on Modern Dance. This is a very broad dance style as it consists of Jazz, Contemporary, Show Dance, Musical Theatre, Lyrical and so on. I also do ballet but at the moment I am not going to classes because there just isn’t any time. I used to do belly-dancing when I was younger, that was fun! I recently moved to a new modern studio called Bowring/Levin. Its two ladies who run the studio and I love it at the moment!

DG: How do you feel before, and during a performance?
LE: During competition time it is the best feeling in the world! Before a performance I feel excited and nervous, but a good kind of nervous. There’s nothing like standing in the wings waiting for your name to be called out with your teacher right behind you. And during a performance... it’s indescribable. I love the costume, hair and make-up and the lights on me. There is such an adrenaline rush!

DG: Are your parents supportive?
LE: My parents are amazing. I couldn’t have asked for better parents. They have supported me all throughout my dancing life. My mom even makes my dancing costumes. They always say that every dancer is a team of three. The  teacher, dancer, and parent. My parents have definitely done their part.

DG: Would you like to leave behind a legacy in dancing?
LE: Yes, I’d love to leave a legacy, even if it’s just very small or within myself. When I’m older if people say ‘You can see she was a dancer’ then I will be happy.

DG: What would you like people to say at your funeral?
LE: (Laughs) I don’t like to think about my funeral! Hmmm, I really don’t know how to answer this question without sounding vain... Only nice things I guess.

DG: Any advice for aspiring dancers?
LE:  My advice would be: If it’s your passion, don’t give up because the bruises and aching bones are all worth it. And stretch. Just enjoy every minute.



No comments:

Post a Comment