Sunday 14 October 2012

Speaking Dance


By Bridget Khumalo

Our Headmaster, Mr Howarth, often talks to us about how St Peter’s College has grown and expanded in its 14 years of existence. This applies to every area of school life. It is remarkable what can be achieved when dedication, passion and determination are applied.

The school’s own ‘babies’ are a great example of having accomplished much in a short space of time. Roxanne Harris, Emma la Trobe, Kerry Gregory and Erin Ilic have done just that despite rigorous rehearsal programmes and managing with their school sports and academics.

I managed to catch up with the St Peter’s members of the South African Dance Team to find out more about their experiences, what makes them tick and what it takes to be so close to the top.

When did you start dancing?

Emma: This will be my fifth year dancing, so I started in 2007.
Roxanne: I’ve been dancing for five years
Erin: Since 2007.
Kerry: Since 2002. (She was four years old)

When did you join the South African Dance Team?

Emma: In 2011 in about October.
Roxanne: October 2011.
Erin: 2011 (October).
Kerry: I made the SA dance team in 2010.

Do you enjoy dancing?

Erin: I enjoy dancing mostly because it helps me to forget about all my problems and just focus on having fun and learning choreography with my friends. World champs is a great experience as you get to see other countries dance and they inspire you to do better and you get to see the other talents that people have.
Kerry: I love to dance; it’s like breathing. I wanted to start dancing because of the music. I love music.

What inspires your dancing?

Erin: I am inspired to dance by the beat of the song and by expressing my emotions in another way.
Kerry: I also started dancing after watching ABDC original champions Jabbawockeez – they inspire me a lot.

What inspires you?

Kerry: My role model, Olivia Chachi Gonzales – she’s a dancer I really love! She inspires me to do more and I hope to meet her one day. My other role model is Brian Puspos; he is the best dancer I have ever seen! He’s creative and I just love him! He inspires me to work hard. My favourite dance teacher is Tumi Trent Tladi – he inspires me too! I can really relate to his choreography and I love being taught by him Ooh! And I aM mE is very important to me because they really never give up and they are a family. I also like Marlee Hightower, who is a very good 12-year-old dancer!

What’s difficult about dancing?

Erin: Dancing in formation is difficult because you have to work with many people, so sometimes you will get into arguments and you need a lot of energy for dancing.
Kerry: We really work hard! I believe that without dancing I wouldn’t be who I am today!

What’s easy about dancing?

Erin: We have been through a year of training for world champs so we know how it is going to be and is easier for us to learn choreography

What do you enjoy most about dancing?

Kerry: I love learning new choreography. I dance to express myself and show people who I am. I am myself when I dance, I feel like I don’t have to pretend. I love trying to learn difficult steps. Dancing helps me express myself in a way words can’t. Dancing helps me forget about my problems – the beat of the music is awesome!

How much practice does it take?

Emma: I dance on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays - in total it’s five and a half hours a week – sometimes more. It depends how prepared we need to be (for a performance).
Kerry: I go to dancing on Monday and Tuesday, and I might start a new class on a Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.
Roxanne: I dance about five hours a week (including Sunday).
Erin: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays.

What would you like to achieve in future?

Emma: I would like to become a better dancer for myself.
Roxanne: I hope to make it in dancing solo for the SA team.
Erin: I would like our small group to come in the top three in the world trial circuit.
Kerry: My top goal is to represent my country doing solo overseas and place. I want to be a professional dancer someday dancing with dance crews that inspire me. When I’m older I want to open a dance studio and be a teacher. I want to meet the Jabbawockeez .

How does dancing influence your attitude towards life?

Emma: I think dancing helps me to relax and show my expressions in life in more ways.
Roxy: It influences my personality by making me more confident, happy and relieved and it makes me have better time management.
Erin: Dancing influences my attitude as I have learnt to be a lot more disciplined. This is because I’ve had to work in a group for hours and put dedication and hard work into dancing. Dancing has made me more confident.

How does it influence your relationships/friendships?

Emma: Dancing helps me to be confident in order to meet new friends and I have met lots of good friends through dancing.
Roxanne: It affects our relationships in a positive way.
Erin: My friends have become a lot more closer to me as we have spent a lot of time together. We’ve learnt more about each other and we have gone through losses and wins. That makes us closer and it feels like family.
Kerry: I dance with my best friends, which makes the relationship stronger and it’s really fun.

What are your nicknames?

Emma: Just Em.
Roxanne: I like being called Rox.
Erin: Eri.
Kerry: Ke, Kezi and to some people Chachi.

What’s your most valuable possession?

Emma: My phone.
Erin: My computer.
Kerry: My cell phone and shoes; I collect sneakers.

What’s your favourite colour?

Emma: Blue or yellow
Roxanne: Purple
Erin: Purple
Kerry: Purple, Blue and Red

What’s your favourite song?

Emma: I like all music except classical.
Roxanne: And I like food and I have a lot of favourite songs!
Erin: I like very different types of music and many songs.
Kerry: I like different types of music (mostly hip hop). I enjoy listening to music and I love Chris Brown and Justin Bieber! I love Justin Bieber like crazy!

 **Kerry: I was once also asked to go to Montenegro for a dance festival and I was the youngest in the team. I do exams which if I complete I will be a qualified teacher I receive distinctions in all my exams. I have done loads of competitions in my life so I have a lot of medals. In 2009 I was dancer of the year and made dancing in Germany for all the main categories (formation, solo, duo, small group). In the same year I also ranked 2nd in South Africa for my age group.

Kerry has also represented South Africa with an older team in the world championships in Germany 2010. They placed 10th in the world out 68 teams. South Africa placed 3rd in this competition.




No comments:

Post a Comment